Thursday, June 19, 2014

Great - I'm now a Scoopiteer!

Since the introduction of Web 2.0 and the rise in the use of social media, there seems to be no end to the increasing number of new terminologies.  From Twitter, FaceBook, Google+, LinkedIn, Instagram and the like, to tweeting, facebooking and blogging, it's as though we're concocting a whole new language to talk to one another. Last week, I announced that I had been lurking around a few online communities and experimented with turking but never twerking! I've been tweeting for a while, used mash-up on occasion and today I've learnt that I'm now a Scoopiteer!  Say what?

It seems as if there is yet another Web 2.0 activity to talk about - content curation. As can be expected, there are any number of tools for this exercise in online knowledge management.  The list below, which is by no means exhaustive, presents some popular tools:

•  Pinterest     •  Storify     •  Scoop.it     •  Slideshare     •  Pearltrees     •  Evernote     •  YouTube

From this list, Scoop.it is gaining momentum in its market.  It turns out that some folks are also recommending noteworthy curators who use the Scoop.it platform and they are affectionately referring to them as Scoopiteers. For my first content curation project (Google tips for you!) I used Scoop.It. Though this was a tedious and time-consuming exercise, because the aim is to curate the better presentations, I enjoyed the experience.  By the way, along with the turking and lurking, I'm now happy to say that I've been 'scooping'! You see why we have to keep up with the lingo, because we'd be lost in the discussion otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. Hey again Byron,
    We're going to need a dictionary annex. Oh, I just remembered we have Wikipedia to keep up with everything!

    I really enjoyed your Google tips. I was able to use one of the tips today so thanks for the helping hand.
    I was a little confused about David J but, heck, who's Yvette Buchamp anyway?
    Janet

    ReplyDelete