Saturday, June 28, 2014

Google maps is simply amazing!

I've been using Google maps (GMaps) for years and I'm still fascinated by its functionality.  It is unbelievably easy to use and very comprehensive.  You can type in just about any destination or the name of a business or organization on the planet and get a map within seconds.

Another huge function is the integration of the various forms of transportation. Users can get travel times if they were to walk, cycle, drive or fly to a destination. GMaps even offers data on current traffic as a determinant for drive times.  Did you know that through the use of global positioning satellites (GPS) and wifi info, GMaps can provide you with a kind of "You are here" status or determine your location if it doesn't come up automatically once the application is started?  GMaps has also added interesting sites and photos of things to do or places to go based on your current location info and this is in addition to the use of the pegman to get street views.

GMaps is so amazing that I find it hard to pin point disadvantages or cons of the tool.  Except for the fact that there are still so many places on earth where street views are not available, and that it's not that easy to view and compare two or more maps from different locations, GMaps is the best mapping tool available out there. Sure there's Yahoo! maps (didn't even realize that Yahoo! had a map tool), Bing maps, Waze (by the way this is now owed by Google even though it's still operating independently) and Apple maps for Apple computers and smart devices but I don't believe any of these favorably compare to GMaps.

To add to all of this, Google maps also has some associative tools like BatchGeo, Google Crisis maps, Google Timelapse maps, and Google Map Maker and these are a mere sample of many other tools that are out there.

1 comment:

  1. Great post on the benefits of Google Maps. This is one app that has never let me down - it always intuits what I might need to do! I do love the ease in changing transportation type. I usually travel by car, but when I'm on vacation I've used the walking function or public transit function as well. All have always gotten me where I needed to go.

    ReplyDelete