Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Be in complete control of your own learning, create PLNs

As I designed and developed the activities for my performance support (PS) project, I was somewhat surprised at how gratifying it was to be able to curate and share information with a community of fellow musicians. My project "The Bass Hub" was inspirational not just because I'm a bassist but because it was something that I had wanted to do for sometime but wasn't motivated enough to take the first step. Okay I admit that this Web 2.0 course was a strong motivator but I'm so happy that I took that step.  I felt like the proverbial horse who was led to the water and while not forced to drink, I realized that water was actually good for me and thus decided to drink of my own volition.

My PS project was expansive enough to be incorporated into my personal learning network (PLN) since the central theme for my PLN was my passion for music and, by extension, my love for the bass guitar.  I enjoyed curating, sharing and communicating so much that I am now an advocate for PLNs especially if you're a budding or seasoned educator.  I like that you, as the user/learner, are in complete control of your environment.  You decide who you'll converse/associate with and you decide whether the content is worthy of your attention. You choose the tools and decide who'll be in your network.  The frequency of your interactions or consultations are also determined by you. It is just that open and as such you'll soon appreciate that only the 'sky is your limit' on creativity and innovation. I certainly hope PLNs become a more prevalent online pastime in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Byron! Thanks for sharing :) Cool PS project! I also incorporated my PS project in my PLN. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete